Lake Atkinson is open for paddling, boating, skiing and swimming.
Check our recreation and safety notices at for updates.
Wearing a lifejacket can save your life. Even if you're an expert, it is always best to wear a lifejacket while boating. It's a lot harder to put one on in the water during an emergency.
While your safety is important, it is your responsibility. Check the weather before you leave home. Know the speed limits, directional rules, how much distance you need to leave between yourself and other users, and how fast you can go when close to shore or other users.
Water skiing rules:
- The vessel operator must be appropriately licensed.
- The boat is safe and capable of towing skiers.
- Travel in an anti-clockwise direction (unless otherwise signed).
- Have all the correct safety equipment, and know how to properly use it.
- Always check the area before towing a skier – lake levels are subject to change, and there may be submerged objects.
- Always carry an observer who is competent to watch the skier at all times.
- For further information on skiing safety, please see Maritime Safety Queensland’s website.
Stay out of exclusion zones. These areas have been established for the safety of all visitors. Designated areas are clearly marked with buoys on the water. Skiing near dam walls, in the spillway, in weirs or fast flowing waterways can be fatal. Don't put your life, or the life of others, at risk.