Be aware of swooping birds
Last Updated: Tuesday, 29 November, 2022 - 14:26
Visitors are reminded that it is magpie nesting season. Please be aware of swooping magpies and other birds when visiting our parks and natural areas.
Nesting season occurs from spring to early summer. During this time, it is recommended that you avoid areas known to have nesting magpies.
Here are some helpful tips to help you play it safe and avoid swooping magpies:
· Consider an alternative route or a safer location
· Wear a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses or use an umbrella as shelter to protect your face
· If a magpie swoops while cycling, get off your bike and walk past the nesting area
· Wave sticks or umbrellas in the air, or attach brightly coloured zip ties to your helmet as a deterrent
· Do not throw rocks or sticks at the bird - this will only increase the bird's aggression.