Seqwater has advised fishers to release and not eat fish from Hinze Dam because of naturally-occurring mercury.

Queensland Health has warned that fish caught in the dam are not suitable to eat due to elevated levels of naturally-occurring mercury in longer-lived fish.

This follows recent results from routine Seqwater fish testing.

The level of mercury in the water is low and well within safe limits for drinking.

An Seqwater spokesman said fishing in Hinze Dam should be catch-and-release only.

To fish at Hinze Dam, you require a permit. The Department of Agriculture and Fisheries has advised all current permit holders of the advice.

Seqwater is also erecting signage at the dam reflecting the advice.

Queensland Health said for those who have only occasionally eaten fish from the Hinze Dam, there is very low risk of health effects or harm. If you are concerned about your or your family’s health, contact your GP or call 13 HEALTH.

The mercury is naturally-occurring and is elevated in the fish because of bioaccumulation in longer-lived fish species.

Treated water from the dam remains safe to use. Only treated water from these sources should be consumed because untreated water contains microorganisms that may cause illness.

The levels of mercury detected in the water were within acceptable levels for permitted recreational activities.

For more information, visit the Queensland Health website.