Bushfires in Queensland usually occur during spring and summer each year. As a major landholder, we undertake planned burns during the cooler months, ahead of peak vegetation growth and the bushfire season.
When preparing for and performing planned burns, we consider:
- protecting the lives of our staff, visitors and neighbours
- protecting Seqwater land and adjacent property
- reducing the risk and potential spread of wildfires
- protecting the quality for our drinking water storages
- establishing conservation, mitigation and protection zones
- developing a program for biodiversity planned burns to maintain or improve biodiversity and ecological values for native flora and fauna
We prioritise our burn program each year to ensure those areas with the most fire risk are a focus. Seqwater works with the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) and other key agencies to plan each planned burn. We conduct each planned burn in accordance with a QFES burn permit, which outlines the ideal temperature, wind speed and direction, and humidity conditions to conduct the burn.
Looking for more information? Download our fire management fact sheet here.